14 October 2011

{recipe} - Vegetable Sauce!

One week last night, I became frustrated while searching the internet for a decent homemade Vegetarian tomato sauce recipe.

*Side note: I had tried to make homemade sauce once before (English muffin pizza night with a few friends), and while it wasn't exactly a failure, I really had no idea what I was doing. It turned out to be "eh".

After maybe a half hour of browsing many sites, I didn't find any to pique my interest. I decided to try again, and this time I was determined to succeed.

Succeed I did! This recipe came out excellent, and I'm proud to say it's completely created off the top of my head. I've named it (very creatively ;) Vegetable Sauce. Enjoy!


Ingredients needed:
Butter/Spread (we use Earths Balance)
Tomatoes
Red + Green Peppers
Onions
Garlic cloves
Pasta
Spices (I used oregano+parsley)


I have a habit of peeling tomatoes, so that's what I did first, since it is the base of the recipe after all. Since it was just Ari and I eating, and I'm not much of a sauce person, I used 3 medium sized tomatoes, which was just enough to have a little bit left over (which was quickly eaten shortly after!)



Cut them all up into chunks!



I'm not a fan of chunky sauce, so after I cut the tomatoes up, I threw them in my Pampered Chef Food Chopper. *If you can get one, do it! I seriously use this all of the time.



Meanwhile, Ari snacked on an onion (her fave!)



After the tomatoes were all set, I used a small sauce pan to melt 3 tablespoons of butter. I added my tomatoes and let simmer while I got my vegetables ready to go.






I added the veggies and let simmer more while I cooked the pasta. Intermittently, I added a few pinches of organic flour to thicken it up.





Lastly, I added my spices, cooked for a few more minutes, and that was that!



This is an extremely customizable recipe, so have fun with it, and enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?